I miss learning. I never thought this day would come, considering I spent over 17 years of my life in school, but it's true, I miss it. I think I miss college the most because it focused on something I needed to do as a career, so I truly loved learning about it. If you're missing school you could always apply to an online program, or even have a class or course in a postsecondary. However, I don't want to spend some money whenever I miss learning. So, if you are in the same boat as me, and would rather fix your urge to understand without going back to school below are great tips for you!
1. Read a new book each month. Pick up a fiction, nonfiction, or a textbook and learn new things! You can learn a lot about the world simply by picking up a book and reading it not less than 20 minutes a day. If you do this, you'll become that person that can chime in on any conversation by knowing a bit about everything. If you find out more, you'll also become stronger in your vocabulary, and improve your reading comprehension.
2. Pay attention to podcasts. I know Netflix sounds a lot more desirable, but you can become familiar with a thing or two by listening to podcasts. The best part is you can listen to a podcast while you're going to work, washing the dishes, or perhaps sitting in the waiting room of your doctor's office. There are many podcasts out there ranging from today's latest news, self-improvement, financial advice, history, unsolved murders and so much more.
3. Teach yourself a new skill. YouTube basically has all of the tutorials you need to learn a new skill. For example, if you want to learn how to crochet search beginners blanket and all you have to do is follow the tutorial! You can also buy some cooking books and buy some cheap pots and pans and learn to cook. Before you know it, you'll have a couple of new skills under your belt and you will feel great about it!
4. Learn how to speak a new language while doing chores. Before you begin washing dishes download an application where you can learn a new language. It will help make your chores a little more exciting, and you will know another language! It is a win-win.
5. Volunteer in your community. A great way to learn is thru hands-on experiences. Volunteering allows you to get a deeper understanding and expands your point of view on things you may not know an excessive amount of about. You'll learn new things by helping others simultaneously.
6. Learn about other cultures by traveling to another country. By traveling you can immerse yourself in the country's culture. Become familiar with the locals, try and learn their language, and live the way they do! If you aren't tied, plan an extended vacation so you can absorb more about the culture.
You may be done school, but learning doesn't have to stop. To keep your mind from drying up it's important to keep expanding it. With today's technology, it's easy to access websites to complete just that, you just need to know where to start!
How do you keep your mind active? Let me know in the comments below!